I am a reluctant packer. I loath the tedious outfit planning - how do I
know what I will want to wear in five days time?! Then there is the
worry that I haven't forgotten anything - passport, phone charger,
bikini! And finally the logistical nightmare of fitting it all into a
suitcase.
There have been many occasions where I left it to the eleventh hour,
chucking what vaguely appropriate item I can find that is clean(ish)
into a bag and hoping for the best. This usually results in a panicked
dash around Terminal 4 Monsoon and the purchasing of Broderie Anglaise
maxi dresses (FYI: really not my style).
Working on a fashion desk I pack a lot, let's call it a hazard of the
job. Regular photo shoots and work trips have forced me to push my
huffy attitude aside and become a bit of a packing pro. And whilst I
still don't enjoy the process, I have devised a fool proof technique.
SEE: Outfit Builder: summer holiday style
A travel wardrobe is a simple equation: versatile separates +
statement accessories = multiple outfit success. If these boxes are
ticked you really can't go too far wrong.
I like to start with comfortable basics in cotton. Fine
T-shirts are easy to travel in and can be layered up depending on the
weather. Splendid (
splendid.com
) and American Vintage (
americanvintage-store.com
) offer soft styles in good colours. Make sure to
include at leased one long sleeved cotton shirt for chilly nights which
doubles as a cover up for sunburn and mosquito bites.
A Breton is a classic for a reason, it says effortless holiday chic.
Pair a t-shirt style with denim cut offs, or give a nod to Parisienne
chic in a full skirt and ballet flats. My fail safe daytime outfit is a
Breton T-shirt dress which looks as great with flip flops as it does
with wellies and a mac on a rainy Cornish beach. Petit Bateau have a
classic range (petit-bateau.co.uk)
Shoes are perhaps the trickiest item to get right when packing. More
than five pairs is moving into excess baggage territory but any less
seems a bit mean. I always travel with a pair of embellished flat
sandals for easy day-to-night dressing. A classic pair of plimsolls are
perfect for scenic walks and it pays to have a comfortable pair of shoes
for when the inevitable flip flop induced toe-rub starts to happen. If
the weather is hot you wont want to wear high heels, opt for a wedged
espadrille which can be dressed up for the evening. Penelope Chilvers
have some of the best around (penelopechilvers.com)
A sundress is your best friend when travelling, providing an entire
outfit in one easy garment. Embrace holiday spirit and go for something
in a bright colour or print, making this your key look. I favour a long
length style cut on the loose side for maximum easy breeziness. Wear
with aforementioned embellished sandals for beach-to-bar ease.
Accessories are instant outfit transformers and take up minimal
suitcase space. I never travel anywhere without my Swarovski Christopher
Kane bolster necklace (atelierswarovski.com)
which transforms a simple T-shirt into something a bit special.
Gemstone earrings and a cocktail ring will turn a plain outfit evening
appropriate as will a beaded clutch bag - extra style points if bought
from a holiday market.
Don't forget the basics, a nude bra with detachable straps means all
variations of necklines are covered. Stella McCartney's seamless style
available from matchesfashion.com is practical whilst still looking attractive and comes with matching knickers.
A final word on packing; if you wouldn't wear it at home you won't
wear it away. Put down that tribal print dress/straw hat/ fringed bag if
it's just not you. And of course roll, never fold!
No comments:
Post a Comment